Author Topic: The Newbie's Guide to Kimoto's Gravity Well  (Read 23061 times)

nyanpi

The Newbie's Guide to Kimoto's Gravity Well
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:44:31 am »
The Newbie's Guide to the Kimoto Gravity Well

Many of you may have heard of Kimoto's Gravity Well and that it is supposedly a major part of what makes Megacoin unique from other cryptocurrencies. However, many of you may also not know what exactly it is and what makes it so special. If that is the case, then this guide is for you.

What Is a Mining Difficulty Readjustment Algorithm, Anyway?
To understand what the Gravity Well algorithm is and what it does, you first need to understand what a "mining difficulty readjustment algorithm" is and why is it important for all current cryptocurrencies based off of the original Bitcoin source code. First, let's pull a few important definitions from the Bitcoin wiki:

Difficulty
Difficulty is a measure of how difficult it is to find a new block compared to the easiest it can ever be.

Difficulty Readjustment (for Bitcoin)
The difficulty is adjusted every 2016 blocks based on the time it took to find the previous 2016 blocks. At the desired rate of one block each 10 minutes, 2016 blocks would take exactly two weeks to find. If the previous 2016 blocks took more than two weeks to find, the difficulty is reduced. If they took less than two weeks, the difficulty is increased. The change in difficulty is in proportion to the amount of time over or under two weeks the previous 2016 blocks took to find.

So basically, the "difficulty" of a coin determines how hard it is for miners to find and mint blocks of that coin. The more miners there are mining a coin, the faster blocks will be found and at the end of this difficulty readjustment period (approximately every two weeks for Bitcoin), the difficulty will change accordingly so that the number of coins minted will follow the intended distribution curve. This has worked well for Bitcoin (so far) because of it's extremely slow adoption rate in the early days and now because of the sheer number of miners on the network. However, this method of difficulty readjustment is flawed for new altcoins entering the market today for a number of reasons which I will discuss below.

The History of the Gravity Well Mining Difficulty Readjustment Algorithm
When Megacoin first launched, it used a more traditional difficulty readjustment algorithm based off of Bitcoin's original proposal. (Author's note: I have forgotten what the original implementation was for Megacoin, but if anyone knows the details please let me know so I can put that here for perspective and history's sake.) By this time, some SHA-256 coins had already felt the pain of difficulty readjustment problems due to the influx of ASIC miners and an activity known as "pool-hopping".

If you are familiar with cryptocurrency mining at all, you may already know that in most cases, solo mining is usually impossible without extremely powerful hardware due to the large number of people now aware of cryptocurrencies and willing to mine for them. Most miners mine through pools, which provide proportional payouts of coins based on the amount of hashing power you provide to the network. This mitigates some of the risk of mining in that you receive a steady stream of coins based on your network hashing rate, so even small-time miners can still earn their share of the pie. However, as pool mining became more popular and more altcoins arrived on the market, services known as "multipools" began to appear. These were special pools that allowed miners to automatically switch to the "most profitable" coin to mine based on the current exchange rates. However, these new multipools introduced some new problems to the cryptocurrency landscape, one of those being major difficulty readjustment woes.

As Megacoin began to rise in price several months after its inception, it started to become a target for these multipools. What happens when this occurs is that suddenly the Megacoin network gets barraged by an influx of new (and very powerful) miners. This causes the block confirmation time to plummet and subsequently causes the difficulty to skyrocket at the next difficulty readjustment. When this occurs, the mining profitability also drops due to the higher difficulty which then in turn causes all of the multipool miners to leave the network in search of the next most profitable coin. What remains is an extremely high difficulty and only the "core" group of Megacoin miners left to deal with the aftermath. In extreme cases, the difficulty may be so high in proportion to the number of miners left that the entire network grinds to a halt. This has happened in the past to Terracoin and Feathercoin, among others. The only solution if this occurs is to hard fork the coin in an attempt to readjust the difficulty (or change the difficulty readjustment algorithm) or simply grind out the mining at an extremely slow pace (during which time the coin is basically unusable) until enough blocks are found to make it to the next difficulty readjustment. The more blocks required until the next difficulty readjustment, the longer this period of unusability will be, and in some cases could mean the death of the coin completely unless drastic measures are taken.

When this happened to Megacoin, Kimoto decided to come up with a better way to perform difficulty readjustment, and the result is the Kimoto Gravity Well (which is now also used as the difficulty readjustment algorithm for Anoncoin as well after it met a similar fate as that described above). And thus, we have the Megacoin we know and love today. Next I will discuss what exactly the Gravity Well does and how it works to keep mining stable and fair for all Megacoin miners and users.

Gravity Well: Explained
Now that you know how the Gravity Well came to be, let's take a look at what exactly it does and how it works. At the most basic level, Kimoto has changed how difficulty readjustment works so that the difficulty is adjusted after every single block that is mined on the network. I'm not 100% sure about the exact mathematics behind the calculations, but so far since its introduction on the network the difficulty has adjusted smoothly and flawlessly no matter how many miners there are on the network and even throughout the huge price (and subsequent mining hash rate) increase we have seen over the past couple of weeks. This keeps mining fair and secure for all miners and users of the coin, and prevents the rampant multipool abuse that was (and still is) common with most all other altcoins out on the market today. This is even more important to consider when one day ASIC miners are developed for Scrypt coins and a small number of miners will suddenly have access to extremely powerful mining hardware. If and when this occurs, a malicious (or simply greedy) miner can simply point his or her ASIC miner at any Scrypt-based coin and cripple it because of the extreme difficulty fluctuation this will cause. (This is actually what happened with Terracoin after SHA-256 ASICS began to flood the market.) Megacoin, however, will be safe from this type of malicious mining behavior due to the smooth difficulty readjustment that Kimoto's Gravity Well provides.

Hopefully this will act as a guide for new investors to Megacoin who may have heard about Gravity Well but are not quite sure what it means or what it even is. If any of you have anything else to add to this, please post! Information is power. :)
MEC: MC3HXv1WP8KDGaALdBA9oGijxnr5ouG8Bm

onetime

Re: The Newbie's Guide to Kimoto's Gravity Well
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 02:55:06 am »
looks excellent! very informative, nice work. :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:31:34 pm by onetime »
MΣC  MUcKXgRDFdYLztXJerntPBWb9uG7eBnCc8

jaxdid

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:20:01 am »
Legendary. Comparative historical examples were very interesting.

Linking coinplorer's difficulty charts for Megacoin, Terracoin and Feathercoin (the examples cited by nyanpi) as visual references for this guide:

http://coinplorer.com/Charts/Difficulty/MEC
http://coinplorer.com/Charts/Difficulty/TRC
http://coinplorer.com/Charts/Difficulty/FTC
Twitter: @MegacoinProject - Global MΣC price index, exchange status updates, news and more!

MΣC: MJ9BkPKgoxLzML4E9UYnSvK965oRZaDy9E

nyanpi

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 03:42:44 am »

Linking coinplorer's difficulty charts for Megacoin, Terracoin and Feathercoin (the examples cited by nyanpi) as visual references for this guide:

Great visual references! Note the periods on the charts for TRC and FTC where the difficulty stays flat compared to the low mining hash rate. During those periods, the confirm times for those coins were excruciatingly slow because miners could not confirm blocks fast enough. Now look at how MEC difficulty rapidly and smoothly adjusts to the overall network hash rate so that block times are always consistent. A vast improvement over any other altcoin out there and really should be the standard for difficulty readjustment today.

Tequilablob

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:01:07 am »
Great post, some of this info should be added to the megacoin wiki.  To add, some of the other coins such as Anoncoin have adopted the Kimoto gravity well recently.  I am proud to say that I was one of the miners that stuck out that difficult time right before the gravity well was implemented and it's implication is what has kept me invested in this coin.  I had my questions about Kimoto and the coin like everyone else.  Once Kimoto implemented the gravity well it reinforced his ability as a developer.  He may not be the best at communicating what is going on but he has shown that he is a competent programmer and mathematician.  He is a Dr. after all. :)

The following was taken from Kimoto's post introducing the gravity well with some back to the future quotes included.

"This is what makes time-dilated difficulty formulas possible: the Kimoto Gravity Well! It's taken me nearly sixty six years and my entire family fortune to realize the vision of that day.
KGW = 1 + (0.7084 * pow((double(PastBlocksMass)/double(144)), -1.228)); "

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240861.msg3040291#msg3040291

MEC - MCFCVwKvTUWY2pSBeBNy3HgZeuybM8dzow

istandtall

• United States
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:10:24 am »
The Newbie's Guide to the Kimoto Gravity Well

Many of you may have heard of Kimoto's Gravity Well and that it is supposedly a major part of what makes Megacoin unique from other cryptocurrencies. However, many of you may also not know what exactly it is and what makes it so special. If that is the case, then this guide is for you.

What Is a Mining Difficulty Readjustment Algorithm, Anyway?
To understand what the Gravity Well algorithm is and what it does, you first need to understand what a "mining difficulty readjustment algorithm" is and why is it important for all current cryptocurrencies based off of the original Bitcoin source code. First, let's pull a few important definitions from the Bitcoin wiki:

Difficulty
Difficulty is a measure of how difficult it is to find a new block compared to the easiest it can ever be.

Difficulty Readjustment (for Bitcoin)
The difficulty is adjusted every 2016 blocks based on the time it took to find the previous 2016 blocks. At the desired rate of one block each 10 minutes, 2016 blocks would take exactly two weeks to find. If the previous 2016 blocks took more than two weeks to find, the difficulty is reduced. If they took less than two weeks, the difficulty is increased. The change in difficulty is in proportion to the amount of time over or under two weeks the previous 2016 blocks took to find.

So basically, the "difficulty" of a coin determines how hard it is for miners to find and mint blocks of that coin. The more miners there are mining a coin, the faster blocks will be found and at the end of this difficulty readjustment period (approximately every two weeks for Bitcoin), the difficulty will change accordingly so that the number of coins minted will follow the intended distribution curve. This has worked well for Bitcoin (so far) because of it's extremely slow adoption rate in the early days and now because of the sheer number of miners on the network. However, this method of difficulty readjustment is flawed for new altcoins entering the market today for a number of reasons which I will discuss below.

The History of the Gravity Well Mining Difficulty Readjustment Algorithm
When Megacoin first launched, it used a more traditional difficulty readjustment algorithm based off of Bitcoin's original proposal. (Author's note: I have forgotten what the original implementation was for Megacoin, but if anyone knows the details please let me know so I can put that here for perspective and history's sake.) By this time, some SHA-256 coins had already felt the pain of difficulty readjustment problems due to the influx of ASIC miners and an activity known as "pool-hopping".

If you are familiar with cryptocurrency mining at all, you may already know that in most cases, solo mining is usually impossible without extremely powerful hardware due to the large number of people now aware of cryptocurrencies and willing to mine for them. Most miners mine through pools, which provide proportional payouts of coins based on the amount of hashing power you provide to the network. This mitigates some of the risk of mining in that you receive a steady stream of coins based on your network hashing rate, so even small-time miners can still earn their share of the pie. However, as pool mining became more popular and more altcoins arrived on the market, services known as "multipools" began to appear. These were special pools that allowed miners to automatically switch to the "most profitable" coin to mine based on the current exchange rates. However, these new multipools introduced some new problems to the cryptocurrency landscape, one of those being major difficulty readjustment woes.

As Megacoin began to rise in price several months after its inception, it started to become a target for these multipools. What happens when this occurs is that suddenly the Megacoin network gets barraged by an influx of new (and very powerful) miners. This causes the block confirmation time to plummet and subsequently causes the difficulty to skyrocket at the next difficulty readjustment. When this occurs, the mining profitability also drops due to the higher difficulty which then in turn causes all of the multipool miners to leave the network in search of the next most profitable coin. What remains is an extremely high difficulty and only the "core" group of Megacoin miners left to deal with the aftermath. In extreme cases, the difficulty may be so high in proportion to the number of miners left that the entire network grinds to a halt. This has happened in the past to Terracoin and Feathercoin, among others. The only solution if this occurs is to hard fork the coin in an attempt to readjust the difficulty (or change the difficulty readjustment algorithm) or simply grind out the mining at an extremely slow pace (during which time the coin is basically unusable) until enough blocks are found to make it to the next difficulty readjustment. The more blocks required until the next difficulty readjustment, the longer this period of unusability will be, and in some cases could mean the death of the coin completely unless drastic measures are taken.

When this happened to Megacoin, Kimoto decided to come up with a better way to perform difficulty readjustment, and the result is the Kimoto Gravity Well (which is now also used as the difficulty readjustment algorithm for Anoncoin as well after it met a similar fate as that described above). And thus, we have the Megacoin we know and love today. Next I will discuss what exactly the Gravity Well does and how it works to keep mining stable and fair for all Megacoin miners and users.

Gravity Well: Explained
Now that you know how the Gravity Well came to be, let's take a look at what exactly it does and how it works. At the most basic level, Kimoto has changed how difficulty readjustment works so that the difficulty is adjusted after every single block that is mined on the network. I'm not 100% sure about the exact mathematics behind the calculations, but so far since its introduction on the network the difficulty has adjusted smoothly and flawlessly no matter how many miners there are on the network and even throughout the huge price (and subsequent mining hash rate) increase we have seen over the past couple of weeks. This keeps mining fair and secure for all miners and users of the coin, and prevents the rampant multipool abuse that was (and still is) common with most all other altcoins out on the market today. This is even more important to consider when one day ASIC miners are developed for Scrypt coins and a small number of miners will suddenly have access to extremely powerful mining hardware. If and when this occurs, a malicious (or simply greedy) miner can simply point his or her ASIC miner at any Scrypt-based coin and cripple it because of the extreme difficulty fluctuation this will cause. (This is actually what happened with Terracoin after SHA-256 ASICS began to flood the market.) Megacoin, however, will be safe from this type of malicious mining behavior due to the smooth difficulty readjustment that Kimoto's Gravity Well provides.

Hopefully this will act as a guide for new investors to Megacoin who may have heard about Gravity Well but are not quite sure what it means or what it even is. If any of you have anything else to add to this, please post! Information is power. :)

Cliff notes please --
MJFMosmFJ54Kfoh93eUC3bQkVvKiyR19F4

"The hardest thing to understand in the world is the income tax".  Albert Einstein

nyanpi

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 06:17:31 am »
Cliff notes please --

Are we really at the point where a few paragraphs of text is deemed too much to read?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 06:22:28 am by nyanpi »

Tequilablob

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 08:26:07 am »
Cliff note version. It makes mining work better.
MEC - MCFCVwKvTUWY2pSBeBNy3HgZeuybM8dzow

Empire1

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 08:28:50 am »
Thanks for that! Great post and great thread! Really informative!
Below is how I would condense all the information into something more marketing orientated &/or that a newbie like myself could absorb and appreciate!

Created by Megacoin's own Dr. Kimoto, 'The Kimoto Gravity Well' is a groundbreaking difficulty adjustment algorithm that is able to adjust Megacoin's mining difficulty after every single block that is mined on the network!

Since its introduction on the network the difficulty has adjusted smoothly and flawlessly no matter how many miners there are on the network and even throughout the huge price (and subsequent mining hash rate) increase we have seen over the past couple of weeks. This keeps mining fair and secure for all miners and users of the coin, and prevents the rampant multipool abuse that was (and still is) common with most all other altcoins out on the market today.

Want Proof?

Note the periods on the charts for TRC and FTC where the difficulty stays flat compared to the low mining hash rate. During those periods, the confirm times for those coins were excruciatingly slow because miners could not confirm blocks fast enough. Now look at how MEC difficulty rapidly and smoothly adjusts to the overall network hash rate so that block times are always consistent! It is a vast improvement over any other altcoin out there!

This is even more important to consider when one day ASIC miners are developed for Scrypt coins and a small number of miners will suddenly have access to extremely powerful mining hardware. If and when this occurs, a malicious (or simply greedy) miner can simply point his or her ASIC miner at any Scrypt-based coin and cripple it because of the extreme difficulty fluctuation this will cause. (This is actually what happened with Terracoin after SHA-256 ASICS began to flood the market.)  Megacoin, however, will be safe from this type of malicious mining behavior due to the smooth difficulty readjustment that Kimoto's Gravity Well provides.

Despite it's youth, Megacoin has already established a deserved reputation for being at the cutting edge of Cryptocurrency innovation and marketing. The Gravity Well, which has recently also been adopted by Anoncoin, is just one more example of Megacoin setting new standards and leading the way.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:55:30 am by Empire1 »

hybridsole

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 02:37:44 pm »

Great visual references! Note the periods on the charts for TRC and FTC where the difficulty stays flat compared to the low mining hash rate. During those periods, the confirm times for those coins were excruciatingly slow because miners could not confirm blocks fast enough. Now look at how MEC difficulty rapidly and smoothly adjusts to the overall network hash rate so that block times are always consistent. A vast improvement over any other altcoin out there and really should be the standard for difficulty readjustment today.

Those three charts on one overlay would look amazing.  I'm not very adept at photoshop but if we put the Mega touch on it, it could go right on the homepage. 
MΣC - MSDTGtJBG63MW813zLRzyLNEnouh9Q7wYv

Alienwalkerx

• Administrator
  • Australia
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 03:08:00 pm »
taken from: http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/21730/how-does-the-kimoto-gravity-well-regulate-difficulty

The goal is to have a more adaptive way of adjusting the difficulty instead of just averaging the last 2016 blocks like bitcoin. This is needed because of multipools which might switch the coin they are mining, and a sudden change in hashrate can occur (both increasing or decreasing). Especially when a multipool switches away you get stuck too long with a too high difficulty.

The algo loops backwards through the blocks, starting from the current one. The PastBlocksMass is just the number of blocks, so it starts at one and increases in each loop.

In each loop an adjustment factor is computed, which is the target block time divided by the actual block time, in a cumulative fashion, so at loop 10 we would have the 25 minutes target time divided by the time it actually took to compute the last ten blocks. When the hashrate increases, we get shorter times and an adjustment factor greater than one and vice versa.

The loop ends whenever the average adjustment factor is larger than the kimoto-value, or smaller than 1/kimoto-value. To understand this look at this python script and an example plot:
Code: [Select]
from pylab import *

one_day = 1440 / 2.5   # how many 2.5 min blocks per day

nmin = one_day / 4     # PastBlocksMin
nmax = one_day * 7     # PastBlocksMax
x = arange(nmin, nmax)   # PastBlocksMass

# start with 2.5 minute blocktime + some noise
t0 = 2.5 + randn(nmax) / 4
t1 = 2.5 + randn(nmax) / 4

# t0 has 20% more hashrate, so shorter blocktime in the beginning
t0[:one_day] = 2.5 / 1.2 + randn(one_day) / 4
# t1 has higher blocktime in the beginning
t1[:one_day] = 2.5 / 0.9 + randn(one_day) / 4

s = arange(nmax)

adjust0 = (arange(1, nmax + 1) * 2.5 ) / cumsum(t0)
adjust1 = (arange(1, nmax + 1) * 2.5 ) / cumsum(t1)

# the magic function
def kimoto(x):
    return  1 + (0.7084 * pow((double(x)/double(144)), -1.228));

plot(x/one_day, kimoto(x))
plot(x/one_day, 1/kimoto(x))
plot(s/one_day, adjust0)
plot(s/one_day, adjust1)
legend(["kimoto","1/kimoto", "20% increase in hashrate", "10% drop in hashrate"])
xlabel("days")
ylabel("adjustment factor (target/actual blocktime)")
show()
The script produces a figure like this Kimoto gravity well.

It shows two constructed examples when the hashrate increases and when it drops for one day.

You see that the lines cross through the Kimoto formula at some point. This is when the algo exits and uses this adjustment factor to compute a new target/difficulty. For large adjustment factors this happens earlier than for the ones closer to one. This is to have a quick adaptation if the hashrate changes a lot, and a slower one if not - then we want a longer period to get a better average. The parameters of the Kimoto formula are adjusted in such a way that one roughly adjusts in one day to a 10% change and in seven days to a 1.2% change. A minimum of 144 blocks determine the new difficulty and at most 4032 (0.25 days or 7 days for a 2.5 minute blocktime).

What happens when the minimum of 144 blocks isn't reached or the maximum of 4032 blocks is exceeded?

The minimum is 144 blocks. So if the adjustment factor is larger than 1+0.7084, then the factor for 144 blocks is taken. At 4032 the algo stops and the average for 4032 is taken no matter what. KGW gives an answer for both boundary cases.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:46:06 pm by Alienwalkerx »
MΣC | MDCgPBWyFLWHxoWmEfe6da9QFyprn2EkLu
bitmsg | BM-NBodKANkfB77AaQg8CSgmqENKZTiU1r1

ColdMonkey

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 06:49:52 pm »
At last a nice simple explanation of the "Gravity Well".  It's purpose is as I expected, and as implied by the name, though this is the first time it has been clearly defined. I have spent almost two weeks looking for information and would appreciate references to any published papers or postings on the maths underlying the algorithm.
ColdMonkey

megacoin.forum MVfQGMuPHDhC8uS17uajuy5LsFMsXYxeVW

nyanpi

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:02:09 pm »
At last a nice simple explanation of the "Gravity Well".  It's purpose is as I expected, and as implied by the name, though this is the first time it has been clearly defined. I have spent almost two weeks looking for information and would appreciate references to any published papers or postings on the maths underlying the algorithm.

I believe the post above:

"This is what makes time-dilated difficulty formulas possible: the Kimoto Gravity Well! It's taken me nearly sixty six years and my entire family fortune to realize the vision of that day.
KGW = 1 + (0.7084 * pow((double(PastBlocksMass)/double(144)), -1.228)); "

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=240861.msg3040291#msg3040291

is the only reference ever made by Kimoto regarding the actual maths behind the algorithm. Someone more knowledgeable than me would have to look into the source code to see the actual code behind it I believe. :)

nyanpi

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 11:08:05 pm »
Code: [Select]
unsigned int static KimotoGravityWell(const CBlockIndex* pindexLast, const CBlockHeader *pblock, uint64 TargetBlocksSpacingSeconds, uint64 PastBlocksMin, uint64 PastBlocksMax) {
        /* current difficulty formula, megacoin - kimoto gravity well */
        const CBlockIndex  *BlockLastSolved                                = pindexLast;
        const CBlockIndex  *BlockReading                                = pindexLast;
        const CBlockHeader *BlockCreating                                = pblock;
                                                BlockCreating                                = BlockCreating;
        uint64                                PastBlocksMass                                = 0;
        int64                                PastRateActualSeconds                = 0;
        int64                                PastRateTargetSeconds                = 0;
        double                                PastRateAdjustmentRatio                = double(1);
        CBigNum                                PastDifficultyAverage;
        CBigNum                                PastDifficultyAveragePrev;
        double                                EventHorizonDeviation;
        double                                EventHorizonDeviationFast;
        double                                EventHorizonDeviationSlow;

if (BlockLastSolved == NULL || BlockLastSolved->nHeight == 0 || (uint64)BlockLastSolved->nHeight < PastBlocksMin) { return bnProofOfWorkLimit.GetCompact(); }

for (unsigned int i = 1; BlockReading && BlockReading->nHeight > 0; i++) {
                if (PastBlocksMax > 0 && i > PastBlocksMax) { break; }
                PastBlocksMass++;

if (i == 1)        { PastDifficultyAverage.SetCompact(BlockReading->nBits); }
                else                { PastDifficultyAverage = ((CBigNum().SetCompact(BlockReading->nBits) - PastDifficultyAveragePrev) / i) + PastDifficultyAveragePrev; }
                PastDifficultyAveragePrev = PastDifficultyAverage;

PastRateActualSeconds                        = BlockLastSolved->GetBlockTime() - BlockReading->GetBlockTime();
                PastRateTargetSeconds                        = TargetBlocksSpacingSeconds * PastBlocksMass;
                PastRateAdjustmentRatio                        = double(1);
                if (PastRateActualSeconds < 0) { PastRateActualSeconds = 0; }
                if (PastRateActualSeconds != 0 && PastRateTargetSeconds != 0) {
                PastRateAdjustmentRatio                        = double(PastRateTargetSeconds) / double(PastRateActualSeconds);
                }
                EventHorizonDeviation                        = 1 + (0.7084 * pow((double(PastBlocksMass)/double(144)), -1.228));
                EventHorizonDeviationFast                = EventHorizonDeviation;
                EventHorizonDeviationSlow                = 1 / EventHorizonDeviation;

if (PastBlocksMass >= PastBlocksMin) {
                        if ((PastRateAdjustmentRatio <= EventHorizonDeviationSlow) || (PastRateAdjustmentRatio >= EventHorizonDeviationFast)) { assert(BlockReading); break; }
                }
                if (BlockReading->pprev == NULL) { assert(BlockReading); break; }
                BlockReading = BlockReading->pprev;
        }

CBigNum bnNew(PastDifficultyAverage);
        if (PastRateActualSeconds != 0 && PastRateTargetSeconds != 0) {
                bnNew *= PastRateActualSeconds;
                bnNew /= PastRateTargetSeconds;
        }
    if (bnNew > bnProofOfWorkLimit) { bnNew = bnProofOfWorkLimit; }

/// debug print
    printf("Difficulty Retarget - Kimoto Gravity Well\n");
    printf("PastRateAdjustmentRatio = %g\n", PastRateAdjustmentRatio);
    printf("Before: %08x  %s\n", BlockLastSolved->nBits, CBigNum().SetCompact(BlockLastSolved->nBits).getuint256().ToString().c_str());
    printf("After:  %08x  %s\n", bnNew.GetCompact(), bnNew.getuint256().ToString().c_str());

return bnNew.GetCompact();
}

The above is the code for the Gravity Well, just for reference's sake.

FuryoftheFlames

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2013, 03:11:23 am »
Thanks for writing this up. I explained it in a less organized way on the subreddit, but this was really well written.
MΣC: MVPsgpdmwKx9fJGmVkmkMqXroZd2guvcBt